Bursitis is the inflammation of a bursa, which are small fluid-filled sacs that act as cushions between bones, tendons, and muscles near joints. The most common cause of bursitis is overuse or repetitive strain injury. Physical therapy can be an effective treatment for bursitis, and a physical therapist can help you develop a personalized treatment plan that may include a combination of the following strategies:
- Stretching and flexibility exercises: These can help to improve range of motion and reduce pressure on the affected bursa.
- Strengthening exercises: These can help to improve the stability and strength of the muscles around the affected joint, which can help to reduce the risk of further injury.
- Heat and cold therapy: Applying heat or cold to the affected area can help to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Massage: Massaging the affected area can help to improve circulation and reduce muscle tension.
- Ultrasound therapy: This uses high-frequency sound waves to stimulate the affected area, which can help to reduce inflammation and improve healing.
- Taping or needling: These techniques use gentle tapping or needling to stimulate the affected area and improve healing.
It’s important to work closely with a physical therapist to ensure that you are doing the appropriate exercises and using the correct techniques. They will be able to modify your treatment plan as needed to ensure that you are making progress and achieving your goals.
Let us help you get back to healthy. Make an appointment with a physical therapist at Physio Health Clinic.